About the Program
The $45 million Suburban Jobs Program was announced as a measure under the Sustainable Australia - Sustainable Communities Strategy in 2011. Grants under the program will support the implementation of projects from 2012-13 to 2014-15.
The objective of the Suburban Jobs Program is to support state and local governments to plan and provide for increased local employment opportunities in the suburbs of Australia’s major capital cities that are subject to growth pressures.
The strain of traffic congestion and long distances to work can take a toll on people’s financial situations, personal health, family relations and workplace productivity. In many cases, residents of outer suburbs spend several hours each week commuting for work. This time spent commuting means there is less time for social, learning or family activities.
The Australian Government recognises that well planned and delivered local employment precincts will assist communities to be more sustainable in the long term by providing local employment opportunities for the diverse skills and aspirations of residents, improving the quality of public spaces, increasing the outputs of the local economy, and fostering a vibrant sense of place for residents.
Attracting and retaining jobs closer to where people live will also help to reduce the environmental impacts of our suburbs - by encouraging people to walk or ride to work, reducing traffic congestion on the road, and taking advantage of new technologies to design healthy, productive workspaces.
The application period for the Suburban Jobs Program opened on 7 December 2011 and closed on 17 February 2012.
Applications for grant funding were open to local governments, state statutory authorities and associations, and state business enterprises.
Please see the Suburban Jobs Program guidelines and related documents below. You may find the Frequently Asked Questions useful to read if you have any questions about the program or you can send an email to the SuburbanJobsTeam@environment.gov.au
- Program Guidelines (PDF - 1,004 KB) | (Word - 190 KB)
- Application form (PDF - 230 KB) | (Word - 659 KB)
- Draft funding agreement (PDF - 334 KB) | (Word - 473 KB)
- Frequently asked questions (PDF - 121 KB) | (Word - 439 KB)
- Suburban Jobs Program Assessment Process
- New $21 million Western Business Accelerator and Centre for Excellence to support jobs in Western Melbourne - 7 September 2012
- Supporting Jobs in northern Adelaide - 6 September 2012
- Supporting Jobs in Western Sydney - 25 July 2012
- Applications open for Suburban Jobs program - 7 December 2011
- $150 million to lay the foundations for a sustainable Australia - 10 May 2011
- Sustainable Australia - Sustainable Communities: A Sustainable Population Strategy for Australia
- Our Cities, Our Future (National Urban Policy)
Suburban Jobs Team
Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities
GPO Box 787
Canberra ACT 2601