The Australian Government aims to improve the environmental performance of Australian Government departments and agencies, by providing advice, communication networks, and access to best practice environmental management techniques from around the world.
ICT Sustainability in Government Operations
Australian Government agencies are changing the way they manage information and communications technologies (ICT), with the aim being more sustainable use of ICT. The Australian Government ICT Sustainability Plan 2010-2015 is a key instrument of this change.
Australian Government ICT Sustainability Plan 2010-2015
Environmental reporting under Section 516A of the EPBC Act
Mandated by S516A of the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999, Australian Government departments and agencies are required to report on their sustainability performance as part of their Annual Reports.
Environmental performance reporting
The National Waste Policy: Less waste, more resources contains strategies to improve the use of resources in Australia. One such strategy is for all governments to embody and promote sustainable procurement principles and practices within their own operations.
Sustainable procurement guide
Guide to sustainable procurement of services
Environmental management systems (EMS)
Government agencies can make significant cost savings and increase efficiency by using an effective environmental management system (EMS).
More about Environmental management systems.
- Water efficiency in Government Operations
- improving the water efficiency of office buildings and public buildings.
More about Water efficiency in Government Operations
- Australian Government ICT Sustainability Plan 2010 - 2015
- Guidance materials and fact sheets
- ICT Sustainability Plan E-news
- Environmental management policy
- Environmental Management System Tool - 2009
- Environmental performance reporting - Section 516A reports
- Sustainability Report 2005-2006 - 2007
- Sustainability summary report - 2005-06 - 2007
- Triple Bottom Line Report 2004-05
- Triple Bottom Line Report 2003-04
- ESD design guide for office and public buildings - May 2007
- ESD operations guide for owners, managers and tenants - 2009
- Water benchmarks for offices and public buildings - September 2005
- Environmental purchasing guide - 2003
- Environmental purchasing checklists
- Archived publications
ESD operations guide
The ESD operations guide for owners, managers and tenants - A guide to help building owners, managers and tenants to operate buildings more sustainably
ESD design guide
The ESD design guide for office and public buildings provides an accessible introduction to ESD in buildings, suitable for all public sector staff involved in construction or refurbishment projects.