Wildlife trade

Wildlife trade

'Wildlife' is: Any whole, part or derivative of a plant or animal, either living or non-living. Eg Wood, seeds, insects, leather/fur, pills/medicines, faeces, teeth, meat, live plants, fresh or dried flowers etc.

Find out more about wildlife trade

Internationally endangered plants and animals (CITES)

Permits, fees and contacts

Exotic (non-native) animals

Trade in wildlife can pose a serious threat to Australia's unique biodiversity and to plants and animals around the world. That's why Australia strictly regulates the international movement of animals and plants, and animal and plant products, including:

Special requirements apply to endangered plants and animals (those included on the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) list).

You may need a permit if you want to bring into or take out of Australia a plant or animal, or animal/plant products.

You could face severe penalties if you break the law, so make sure you understand your responsibilities.

Please note that the Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities (DSEWPaC) is responsible for regulating the movement of wildlife into and out of Australia i.e. international trade. Alternatively, State and Territory agencies regulate the movement of wildlife within Australia i.e. between states.

  • For more information contact:

    The Director
    Wildlife Trade Regulation Section
    Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities
    GPO Box 787
    Canberra ACT 2601
    Telephone: (02) 6274 1900
    Facsimile: (02) 6274 1921
    Email: wildlifetrade@environment.gov.au

| Accessibility | Disclaimer | Privacy | © Commonwealth of Australia | Help |
Last updated: Thursday, 05-Jul-2012 16:44:56 AEST