Science and research plays an important part in the protection of biodiversity. The department takes advice from scientists and administers a range of programs and facilities involved in scientific research into the conservation and sustainable use of Australia's biodiversity.
Australia's biodiversity science and research
Organisations and programs
Permits are required under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act) for:
- research activities in Commonwealth Parks and reserves
- research activities that affect threatened species or communities in Commonwealth areas
- whales, dolphins and porpoises in Commonwealth waters and outside Australian waters
- the import and export of plants, animals and other organisms
- research activities involving protected species in the Territories of Christmas Island, Cocos (Keeling) Islands and Coral Sea Islands
Export or import of specimens for research purposes
The non-commercial export or import of a specimen may be approved for scientific research if the project will result in a better understanding or increased knowledge: of the taxon; of the conservation of biodiversity; or of the maintenance and/or improvement of human health.
Caring for our Country
Caring for our Country supports communities, farmers and other land managers protect Australia's natural environment and sustainably produce food and fibre.
Environmental Stewardship provides funding for land managers to protect and restore targeted endangered ecological communities on their land
More about Environmental Stewardship
Parks and reserves
National Reserve System
The National Reserve System is Australia's network of protected areas, conserving examples of our natural landscapes and native plants and animals for future generations.
More about the National Reserve System
Working on Country
Working on Country builds on Indigenous knowledge of protecting and managing land and sea country, and provides funding for the employment for Indigenous people to deliver environmental outcomes
More about Working on Country