Science and Research

bush apple kakadu

Permits – accessing biological resources in Commonwealth areas

If you wish to obtain biological resources from a Commonwealth area for the purpose of research and development on any genetic resources, or biochemical compounds, comprising or contained in the biological resources, you will need to obtain a permit under Part 8A of the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Regulations 2000. 

If the location of your proposed research is not in a Commonwealth area, you should contact relevant State and Territory Authorities.

Permits for access to biological resources are available for either commercial/potentially commercial, or non-commercial purposes. For detailed information on what you need to include in your permit application, see:

Please note that you will need to obtain written permission to enter a Commonwealth area to take samples. Additionally, depending on the type of research you are planning to do, you may need to obtain additional permits issued under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act or regulations. For information on other permits that may be required go to

Application forms

Application forms should be emailed to

Download forms


Permit requirements